It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

• About the Global Internet SELF HELP Justice Network
    This Bulletin Board is part of the Global Internet SELF HELP Justice Network of Websites, Bulletin Boards and FORUMS. Check the details in the Announcement at the head of this forum.
    1 Topics
    1 Posts
    Last post by russellm View the latest post
    Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:37 am
  • Dictionary Meanings of 'Shonks' and 'Shysters'.
    Dictionary Meanings of 'Shonks' and 'Shysters'. Shonks and shysters are FRAUDSTERS, plain and simple.
    These are Australian colloquialisms. Might I say, firstly, that I use idioms and colloquial speech very seldom This is because I have studied a number of languages and had to translate between them. It is very difficult for me to understand colloquial expressions in foreign languages when I have translated them into English. Over my time I have often written and spoken in English to people who have English as a Second Language. I am better understood if I use no idioms or colloquialisms. The purpose of my speaking or writing is to be understood.

I quote from the Macquarie Dictionary, published by The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd., The Macquarie Dictionary, Macquarie University, New South Wales 2109, Australia. It is called, "The National Dictionary". It is referenced as the first "Australian Dictionary".

"Shonks" can be understood as the noun reference to persons who are "shonky". The Macquarie Dictionary gives the following:

'shonky' / adj. Colloq. 1. of dubious integrity or honesty. 2.mechanically unreliable.

'shyster' n. 1. one who gets along by petty, sharp practices. 2. a lawyer who uses unprofessional or questionable methods. [apparently alteration of Scheuster, an unscrupulous 19th C New York lawyer; perhaps influenced by G (for German) Scheisser, from scheissen SHIT]

The Colloquial phrase of "Shonks and Shysters" is known in Australia. If you do a Google search of "Shonks and Shysters" in Quotes, you will find the majority are related to my sites, but you will see a few others where this is an understood phrase, in Australia. It is also seen that the phrase has been used in the Australian Parliament, and is recorded in the official Hansard.
    0 Topics
    0 Posts
    No posts

• Forum
    Topics
  • Announcement re NEW FORUMS you may want.
    If you wish to post a comment about any Shonk, Shyster, Judge, Magistrate, legal situation, some disability discrimination, IN A COUNTY WITHOUT A FORUM, please let me know on my Contact form at http://HaigReport.com/eml.html /. You are also welcome to make the comment in THIS FORUM. Then, other viewers, anywhere in the world can add their suggestions in this forum.

Russell G H Mathews
    1 Topics
    1 Posts
    Last post by russellm View the latest post
    Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 am

Login